Monday, December 15, 2008

Rejections or Blessings?



I just read a thought provoking blog by Wanda Campbell titled, “Bridges”. It made me think about my own journey and the bridges that I have crossed to get my book, "The Food Temptress," published. On August 29, 2005, I lost everything in Hurricane Katrina. When I made it to Las Vegas Nevada via train, I went into a severe depression for approximately three months. After the brief mental breakdown, I decided that I was not going to curl-up in a ball and die, not like this. I thanked God for the storm, sparing my life, and diverting my journey. I purchased a used laptop and continued my hobby, writing.

It took 10 months to write "The Food Temptress" and one year to find a publisher. I spent most of the time searching for an agent. I remember having an agent ask me if my main character in "The Food Temptress" was African American. I wondered if she asked the Caucasian authors if their characters were white. Then, I had the privilege of talking to a major publisher one-on-one. She told me that everyone was tired of hearing about Hurricane Katrina. I found it funny because the book is not about Katrina.

The reject letters kept coming, but it encouraged me to continue my quest. This time, I researched publishing companies. I found only one that I felt was a perfect match, so I sent the manuscript. Occasionally, I would revisit its website to daydream about the day my book will be on the roster. Shortly thereafter, I became frustrated, so I decided I wanted to self-publish under a print-on-demand company. They rejected me too. I was so upset that I took the day off.

The following day, I was back to the grind. I sent a follow-up email to the publisher that I submitted my work to, Xpress Yourself Publishing Company (XYP). The owner, Jessica Tilles, wanted to know how I plan to promote my book. It was then I knew my fate because I was prepared to give the answers. A few days later, Jessica agreed to give me a chance. I rejoiced, cried, and thanked God for this blessing. Before, I could not foresee that a blessing was in store for me because I wanted to be mad about the rejections. It reminded me of the lesson that I was suppose to have learned three years ago, and apparently had forgotten. When things do not happen the way you want them to, say “Thank you Jesus; I know you have something better for me.”

"The Food Temptress" debuts in 30-days. I would not change the bridges that I crossed to get here. What lesson have you learned on your life’s journey?


Rekaya Gibson, Author
The Food Temptress
http://www.foodtemptress.com

2 comments:

  1. Rekaya:

    I want to send my best wishes and blessings out to you on your new book!
    The weight on your shoulders was heavy, you endured tons of misfortune and pain, but your faith in God and patience has been rewarded. One comment I would like to make regarding the publisher who told you that everyone was tired of hearing about Katrina. African Americans will never get “TIRED” of hearing about Katrina nor will we ever forget the enormous affects that event had on so many people like you, who suffered after losing their family members and possessions.

    Next, I want to say that I, too, was so excited when I received an email from Jessica Tilles regarding my first book, “Reflections of a Quiet Storm.” My journey in the publishing industry was a little different from yours. I started journaling to deal with some of the painful past experiences I had during my childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. A year later, those notes transcended into a fiction novel based on a true story. I completed my manuscript within a year. I could not get an agent to touch me. After hearing all of the stories of authors being repeatedly rejected before finally getting a publishing contract, I had made up my mind to self-publish until I received an answer to a letter I had written to another author who had just released her first novel. She sent me a page and a half of information regarding her experiences and encouraged me to submit my manuscript to publishing houses, and I did. I had faith that I would get my book published, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get a publishing contract right away, so my boyfriend purchased seven or eight manuscript boxes and mailing envelopes. I never heard from one publisher, but Jessica responded back with an email regarding my marketing plans for the book. I will always be grateful to her for this fantastic opportunity.

    Peace and Blessings,

    Patricia A. Bridewell, Author
    Reflections of a Quiet Storm
    www.patriciabridewell.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! God has the key to open up all closed doors.

    ReplyDelete