Saturday, December 6, 2008

Mr. He Will Do

Recently, I read an article titled, “The ‘Good Enough’ Marriage,” written by Suzanne Wright. It suggests that in today’s society, individuals are way too picky in selecting a spouse. It is even true in the fiction novel, “The Food Temptress.” Ambrosia, the New Orleans Goddess of Gastronomy, dumps an associate minister because he wants her to become a submissive, dutiful wife.

Yes, there are folks who do search for the perfect man, like Ambrosia. What is wrong with that? She can hold out until she finds what makes her happy. Why should a woman conform to the thought that if she is not with someone then something must be wrong with her? It is crazy to think that people, back in the day, married for financial security and to provide offspring rather than happiness as the article mentioned.

Most of the married people that I know have ‘good enough’ marriages. Matter of fact, they are unhappily married. Well, I much rather be happy and alone than to be married to “Mr. He Will Do”. Lastly, I do not want a man to propose to me because it is his time to jump the broom or because I am the best business deal in town.

What do you think…is settling for “Mr. He Will Do” better than waiting for “Mr. Right”?


Rekaya Gibson, Author
The Food Temptress
www.foodtemptress.com
Coming January 15, 2009
By Xpress Yourself Publishing Company

2 comments:

  1. Great article and an even better question. I'm not sure Mr. Right exists. Is there a perfect man who meets all your standards out there? I seriously doubt it but I think settling for less than your expectations is why so many marriages end in divorce. People are marrying for stability, financial security, and yes, just to say, I's married now!

    Even though I doubt there is a Mr. Right, I do believe people should marry for love and strive for true happiness.

    Linda R. Herman
    Author of Consequences
    www.LindaRHerman.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your article Rekaya. It is very interesting. I do think most people settle. However, I also think people may have thought they've found Mr. Right, but after time he suddenly turns into Mr. Wrong.

    People change and sometimes that can be either a bad or good thing. There is nothing wrong with being alone and waiting. And if many would have done that, they wouldn't be in relationships they now regret.

    Tinisha Nicole Johnson
    Author, Writer, and Poet
    www.TinishaNicoleJohnson.com

    ReplyDelete