Sunday, August 17, 2008

What's going on with our youth?

Normally when we think of domestic violence, we think of adult women being battered by their male lovers. How many of us think of our teens being in abusive relationships? My hand was down until two years ago. But a shocking up close and personal reality opened my eyes to this growing problem.

Puppy love is supposed to be a sweet emotion for teens. For the first time they 'love' someone other than mommy, daddy, family, and friends. They experience a different emotion and feelings for someone they envision being the greatest person to ever walk the Earth.

So, what happens when that person hits them? Degrades them? What about raping them?

You think it can't happen? You want to believe it doesn't happen? I'm here to tell you it does. I loosely based my short story, "Silent Cries" on a true event that happened to someone near and dear to my heart. She was fifteen when the verbal abuse began; maybe 16 the first time he hit her; and seventeen when she finally broke up with him only to have him rape her a few months later. I KNOW it happens. My question is this: What do we as adults do to stop/prevent it from happening?

"Silent Cries" is featured in the upcoming anthology Somebody Prayed for Me, written by authors Allyson M. Deese, Tinisha Nicole Johnson, and Linda R. Herman. The book releases December 2, 2008, from Xpress Yourself Publishing, www.xpressyourselfpublishing.org.

Linda R. Herman, Author of Consequences
www.lindarherman.com

6 comments:

  1. you always write about the "real" Linda! Can't wait to read Silent Cries. I notice that my 1 of my sons friends "plays" ruff with his girlfriend. My son and I had to talk to him about it. Play or not, why the need to manhandle a 110 pound young lady? whats really going on - with him for doing it and her for allowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the teens situations has been going on for a long time. I work for Children Services and teens and the little ones are beening abused everyday. It's no joke and please reach out and help

    ReplyDelete
  3. This issue is real. I'm concerned about our youth. Especially since I have two kids of my own - a boy and girl. I'm not even that old, but the kids today are way different then they use to be when I was in school. Kids have more responsibility, more pressure and are more mature (body that is). We as parents need to talk to our kids, and let them also show them that they can always come to us.

    Tinisha Nicole Johnson
    www.TinishaNicoleJohnson.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post, Linda. I wish I could be an authoritative voice on this issue, but I'm not a parent. However, I do have nieces and nephews and all I could ever do was do what their parents were afraid to do, tell them about the birds and the bees and right from wrong when it came to the opposite sex.

    Jessica Tilles
    www.jessicatilles.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please know that your comments are GREATLY appreciated. This issue didn't hit home for my family-it blew the roof off the day my younger cousin was raped. The entire time she was being abused while in a relationship with her assailant, she didn't come to us. So it really tears my heart up to think other girls are going through the same thing.

    My cousin is now in college and because I included her story in Somebody Prayed for Me, I told her I will give her 50 copies of the book to sell at her own profit. I love her more than words can say. She's always been like my own baby, and I thank God for bringing her through this even though she still has a LOT of healing to do.

    Linda R. Herman
    www.lindarherman.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of our youth ARE out of control. They have been preconditioned by experiences and circumstances growing up, especially into teenage. There are many reasons why but one almost has to look at the family structures they came from. Disfunctional children grow up and become disfunctional adults with children, The cycle is continuous.

    ReplyDelete