Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I Just Can't

I JUST CAN'T

Of course I think about him
during those quiet moments
when the soul can't evade the mind
and noise can't filter out old memories

and I worry
what life behind bars
does to him
to anyone
how he is affected and disconnected
how we are unattached and unaffiliated
how all it takes
is one call
or a letter
a simple postcard

to let him know I care
that he is on my mind
in my thoughts
stirring around my memory

But I can't.
Holding the pen over blank paper
I can't write and
holding the phone over
vast dial tone
I can't dial and
driving up to the penitentiary
covering never ending miles
I can't
peel myself from the seat

I can't
I just can't

It's weird
or crazy
frustrating or psychotic
because I am not mad
don't regret and no longer resent

I just can't

the memories no longer torment
the absence no longer burns
but still,
I can't

and I pray to God that one day I will
Find the strength to
disrupt this cocoon
tear through the malignant state
and be a daughter,
despite all the things
my father never was

but right now
I just can't

Copyright 2008 Chloe R

3 comments: