Monday, August 18, 2008

Hammer- How You Do It?


About 2 am this morning I finally gave up on writing. I had been surfing the net for hours, building my website, blogging, and generally making a nuisance of myself - leaving so many unnecessary comments and email messages. Wasting time on so many levels.

Anyhoo, as I was preparing for bed, a new ESPN commercial aired. I luv ESPN at night, its reliable, no boring, scary, unforeseen program to hammer away at my subconscious. And I also get a kick out of their commercials, my favorite being King James (LeBron) trying to figure out if his neighboring cubicle buddy has stolen his throne.

Last night ESPN featured a new Hammer commercial - and Hammer was working it. That man can still dance. I found myself cheering for him, thrilled by his fortitude, his unwillingness to just bow his head and disappear.

Remember the first MC Hammer video - with him on the street in front of a graffitti'd building working it out with 3-5-7? The quintessential pioneer. A major label wouldn't pick him up so he hustled the album himself. Sold books - er, hum, albums -out of the trunk of his car. Put together his own video and worked tirelessly getting it aired. It took years. But once those videos hit - he was an instant star (years in the making and struggling). Hmmmm - do I need to specify how this is relevant?

A cosmic rise and a devastating fall, Hammer is back. And I wish him no ill will. He tried to give back, tried to support his own and others, extended charity even if he did it in an unwise manner. And a good heart must be rewarded.

So try to get a glimpse of Hammer in new Hammer specific pants (again) dancing like he is still 18. "I Got Gigs" from his forthcoming album, Dancejamthemusic, is featured in the new commercial for ESPN. Says Hammer, "My approach is, even before people know about it [the forthcoming single], to pound it into their subconscious with this commercial," MC Hammer tells Billboard exclusively. (taken from Billboard.biz)

Take a word from the wise. Implement the strategy. Cuz Hammer knows how to get it started! (o.k. corny - i know - but I couldn't help it )

Chloe R

6 comments:

  1. Them was the good old days and he is still the man. There is only one M C Hammer and he still got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I was definitely a huge fan of MC Hammer back in the day. And I loved the movie that was made based on his life - his rise and fall. Anyone who watches the movie will have better respect of who that man really is.

    Tinisha Nicole Johnson
    www.TinishaNicoleJohnson.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Choe, girl, you are bringing it back...old school. I was absolutely amazed at Hammer. Didn't he start the trend for having a million and one dancers on one stage? He has my 100% support!

    Ut oh, ut oh...don't hurt 'em Hammer!

    Jessica Tilles
    www.jessicatilles.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. His concerts were amazing - couldn't focus on one thing with all them folks pac manning back and forth across the stage!! Ha! love me some Hammer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We gone turn this MUTHA out! LOL
    Yes, another MC Hammer fan here. And Tinisha, I agree-the movie was great.

    Linda R. Herman
    www.lindarherman.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't you know whenever I see the word "turn this mutha out" I can hear the chorus. It is branded to my brain!!

    ReplyDelete