Friday, January 1, 2010

The Countdown Has Begun!

Happy New Year! Wow, I must say 2009 went by like a flash. Where did it go? That just goes to prove that life is but a vapor and we must make the most of each and every moment we are generously given.
Have you made your "resolutions" for 2010? What are your goals? Is it to stop smoking? Lose weight? Start a business? Find love? Go back to school? Well, whatever you have resolved, I encourage you to focus and to stick with it.
This year, I have decided to try to live 365 days without something that is very near and dear to a lot of us. It is going to be challenging but I believe I can do it. I realize that there are going to be days when I'll be tempted to relapse but I too, must stay focused.
I have named 2010 as the year without Wal-Mart. Yes, I said it. Wal-Mart. Now, before some of you get your thongs in a bunch, this is not an attempt to ignite a global ban or boycott against America's largest retailer. I am not a fool. It is just one woman's decision to spend her money in another store.In other words, my personal journey and I know that it will not change the Wal-Mart landscape. Like I said, it is personal.
Why? There are a few reasons but the main two are 1) I want to test the unwritten theory that Wal-Mart is essential to all life forms and 2) my last few visits to several Wal-Mart stores have truly tested my patience and religion (as if I don't have enough things in my life to do that).
Think about it. What did we do before Wal-Mart? Can anyone remember a time when there was no Wal-Mart.
There it is. My goal. No Wal-Mart for me this year. I plan to blog about it all year to let you know how I'm doing and I am interested in what your thoughts are on the subject. Can I do it? I don't know. I mean, like the rest of the world, Wal-Mart has been the "go to" place for all things for years for me, especially with children. One stop shopping for groceries, personal hygiene products, drugs, clothes, tires, pedicures, etc. As a matter of fact, I have already been tempted today when I realized that it is January 1 and I don't have a new calendar.
I didn't say it would be easy but I am determined.
Until next time....happy Wal-Mart-ing for the rest of the world.


Hazel Mills
www.hazelmillsstories.com

1 comment:

  1. Hazel,
    You can do it! It will be so easy, you will even surprise yourself. I rarely shop at Wal-Mart. When I go, it is because I realized that I had not been in awhile, but it was not necessary. I get groceries from Smith's (same as Kroger's). I buy discounted beauty/hygiene items from Big Lots, Family Dollar, and Dollar Tree. I sometimes go to Target, Kmart, and beauty supply store for those items. It's easier when you live in a town with choices and you don't have to drive far.

    Bes wishes,

    Rekaya Gibson, Author
    The Food Temptress
    www.thefoodtemptress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete